Sunday 1 December 2013

Wed 20th November - Discovering Lake Dartmouth "The Golden Pond"

I had another really bads nights sleep with hayfever, Benny was up early for some fishing action but I stayed in bed and tried to snooze a bit (breathing through my mouth, I was starting to perfect the art of sleeping on my back propped up with pillows and breathing through my mouth, but obviously not perfecting enough to get a good nights sleep!!) Benny was back from fishing fairly quickly as he'd got his line/lure stuck and needed a spare tent pole to help reach it, he told me he'd seen platypus so I got up and came for a walk with him. There was still morning mist on the river which was beautiful but no platypus. The tent pole wasn't big enough to reach the trapped lure so Benny took his pj pants off and waded into the river to get a better angle, glad I came with my camera ;) ....although its not allowed on the blog!!!

 

After packing up we drove to Corryong and picked up some maps from the TIC. We headed out to Lake Dartmouth, from the maps we liked the look of Eustace Gap Camp....it took us a LONG time to get there, it was wiggly track up and around the mountains and then down to a camp by the side of Lake Dartmouth (luckily the ute made it, although a desert cooler might be in order to help with the hot radiator in the future!). The camp was lovely but not very flat so took us a while to find a spot were the trailer could fit but there were lots to choose from :) we found a place were the trailer/bed would be flat but the tent was on an angle, that seemed to work fine though, as long as no-one is sleeping on our floor!! It'd be a pain if you'd spent an hour or so driving to the camp to find there were no spaces left.

 

After taking the boat off and a cool off in the lake (and me washing my hair) we set the rest of camp up and got a fire going to cook a sausage stew in the camp oven. It was at night as the carp (fish for my friends with limited fish-knowledge) would jump out of the water and make big splashes!!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment