Monday 27 February 2012

Tues 14th – Valentines Day… I caught you a Marron…


Benny set his alarm for 5:30 and was up and away by about 6ish Im guessing… I was still snoozing.  I was up by 8 and after doing the dishes etc, making some food to take down to the beach and a coffee for Benny (it was Valentines Day after all) I set off too, in trainers this time cos my feet were hurting from yesterday.   When I got there Benny had caught another blue throated wrass and a decent sized herring (the ones in south oz are pathetic compared to WA!).  We set off back up the river bed a little way to check out Bennys marron trap (I just asked Benny how to spell Marron and he said “Yeah that’s right…Or mazza, or fresh water crayfish if you wanna be posh!”)  So yeah he’d spent last night making a marron trap out of bits of wood, sting, cable ties, wire and spare bits of mossie net!!  The trap was empty but on the beach he’d also made a snare… out of the gidgy (hand spear) a zip tie and some fishing line… When he managed to catch one I was super excited and his official cheer-leader, I didn’t think he was gonna, WHOO-HOOO :-) He reluctantly said I could share them with him cos I was giving him shit yesterday about how much he was talking about catching one, I think the saving grace was the fact I reminded him it was Valentines Day ;) So marron and blue wrass wrass for lunch, yummm!!!!  Packed up and moved on to check out the lighthouse at Cape Borda, a square one… and set up camp at Harveys Return :-)

 The track down to Snake Lagoon Beach

The home-made marron snare

Got one!!! WHOO HOO :)

The biggest 

All lined up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment